Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding

on .

All Accredited Schools must Sign Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding to Participate in Tuition Assistance Programs

CVTA was told that all schools that participate in veterans benefits and military tuition assistance programs must sign (on-line) a Memorandum of Understanding in order to continue their participation. The Association held two webinars under the direction of Lou Spoonhour, in which many members participated, to explain the new requirement.

Following the webinars, there was a great deal of confusion as to which schools needed to sign the Memorandum in order to continue participation. As a result, Lou, Mike and Cindy had a conference call with a senior person at the National Guard that is responsible for educational benefit programs.

As it turned out, the original information was incorrect. While tuition assistance programs are administered by the Department of Defense, programs involving the Montgomery GI Bill and Post 9/11 GI Bill are administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Therefore, the only schools that need to sign the MoU are schools that participate in federal tuition assistance programs (which means only schools that hold accreditation).

CVTA will set up another webinar to explain the process and walk those schools through the sign up procedure. If your school would like to participate, please contact Cindy Atwood. When we have determined the level of participation, we will set a date and time for the call.