- Jan. 25, 2012 - the Delmar Cengage web-based version of the “Trucking: Tractor-Trailer Handbook/Workbook”
- Previous webinar with more information on the full web-based product (Move the playback cursor to the right until it gets to 1:15)
You can see how the Delmar products (copyright PTDI) align with the PTDI standards at www.ptdi.org/standards: Page 16 of the Curriculum Standards is an overview of the required units and time, followed on subsequent pages by details of objectives for each unit. In the Certification Standards, see specifically Standards 5.2 (Instructional Time) and 9.2 (Distance Learning Option). Guidelines on distance learning and the related standards for PTDI course certification are also provided below.
Contact information for the product or the standards is listed at the bottom of this page.
How many hours does PTDI allot to a distance learning program?
The PTDI Certification Standard on Distance Learning (DL) (page 50 of the Certification Standards and reprinted below) was updated and re-released in May 2011. Formerly it had allowed two hours per chapter. It now basically requires the school to ensure that the a student gets the equivalent training by DL as if in the classroom setting. Equivalent does not mean equal to; i.e., if you have four hours for a unit to be completed in the classroom, via DL it may take only two or three hours for a student to learn the same information. The school is responsible for verifying that the student is getting the same (equivalent) training. Also note that independent study (IS) is a separate option from distance learning and has its own requirements, which includes a minimum of 70 (84 50-minute hours) of actual classroom/lab instruction. IS is Certification Standard 9.1 (page 49 & printed below) and also has guidelines in the Curriculum Standards (page 7-8).
PTDI Certification Standard 9.2 – Distance Learning Option:
- All PTDI enrollment standards as outlined in Standard 1.4 (Student Eligibility and Admissions) are applicable.
- Distance learning is defined as: educational or instructional activity that is delivered electronically to students. This could include interactive instructional models such as audio or video computer conferencing, or Internet/Web-based instruction. The use of home-based learning using only a workbook as a study guide is not acceptable.
- The core curriculum in distance learning must be the same or comparable to the curriculum in the on-campus program.
- The course provides for timely interaction between instructor and student.
- The course being offered electronically must be the equivalent of all hours of credit as required for classroom/lab time in PTDI Standard 5.2 (Instructional Time).
- The school must verify appropriate training and support services to instructors who teach courses and programs electronically as outlined in Standard 3.2 (Instructor Development). Training must be documented and placed in the instructor file.
- Prospective students in distance education programs must be provided with information regarding admission; skills needed to participate; equipment requirements; academic support services available; course and program completion requirements; and any additional costs for distance learning programming as outlined in Standard 1.1 (Truth in Advertising & Public Information).
- Each student must take a proctored exam at a certified location offered by the school. Documentation of identity, date and time, location of the test and test scores must be signed by the appropriate administrator and placed in the student file.
- Courses begin and end within a specified or controlled time frame and require that the assignments and tests be submitted by specific due dates. Students must be able to review completed lessons as part of the course offered prior to any proctored exam.
PTDI Certification Standard 5.2 – Instructional Time (excerpt) states: Classroom and lab time must be a minimum of 104 hours (60-minute hours) or 125 (50-minute hours).
- Classroom/lab and skills training must include each component outlined in the Curriculum Standards Units of Instruction as found in “Curriculum Standards and Guidelines for Entry-Level Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Courses.”
PTDI Certification Standard 9.1 - Independent Study Option:
Independent study is an alternative method of guiding student learning in addition to traditional classroom instruction and must meet the same objectives with regard to content, time on task and mastery of material. It requires independent consideration and mastery of a designated body of knowledge and is, therefore, differentiated from homework, which merely reinforces materials covered in class. Independent study should include the following key elements for each unit:
- Number and title of PTDI curriculum classroom unit for which it is proposed independent study be substituted; e.g., Unit 1, Unit 2 (See Curriculum Standard Units of Instruction in “Curriculum Standards and Guidelines for Entry-Level Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Courses.”)
- Classroom hours required for that unit, including both classroom contact hours and independent study
- Total number of hours being submitted with independent study
- Performance objectives
- Knowledge objectives
- Independent study materials to be used
- Estimated time to complete independent study materials
- Procedure used to determine whether the student did in fact achieve the objectives
- Evaluation instruments and other documentation indicating successful completion of independent study
Thirty-four (34) (41)hours of independent study may be utilized for classroom/lab instruction, subject to a minimum of 70 (84) hours actual classroom/lab instructions, in order to meet the required 104 (125)hours of classroom/lab time. Courses must explain how the option is used and complete and file the time waiver form. (See Appendix C of these standards.)
If independent study is used it should be cited in the school catalog, brochures, and other documents where it is legal to do so.
FOR INFORMATION ON PTDI:
Professional Truck Driver Institute
555 E. Braddock Rd., Alexandria, VA 22314
703-647-7015; fax 703-836-6610
FOR INFORMATION ON THE WEB-BASED PRODUCT:
Senior Marketing Manager
Delmar | Chilton
5 Maxwell Drive, Clifton Park, NY 12065
www.trainingbay.cengage.com | www.chilton.cengage.com