Access and Engagement
CVTA Members engaged with influential figures in the FMCSA, Congress and across the trucking industry.
- Congressman Troy A. Carter (LA-02), welcomed attendees and highlighted the importance of the truck driver training industry.
- Nikki McDavid, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), provided an overview of the implementation of Entry-Level Driver Training Rules. McDavid also took numerous questions from CVTA members in attendance on the status of an auditing program, TPR issues that members are experiencing, and ways that members can report new TPR issues
- Dan Horvath, American Trucking Associations (ATA), shared ATA’s top priorities on safety, energy, and workforce issues. Horvath also previewed some of the most pressing issues in the industry that will face the new Congress in 2023.
- Kyle Marinelli, National Association of Workforce Boards, discussed the pending re-authorization of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and the roles that CVTA members can play in helping to advance their priorities on Capitol Hill.
- Chris Moreno, Truckers Against Trafficking, equipped members with the knowledge to recognize and respond to human trafficking as well as develop relationships with various organizations and key industry stakeholders.
Learning and Planning
Members participated in roundtable and panel discussions that provided the opportunity to learn and share important industry insights.
- Soft Skills Panel: Gina Anderson (Luma Brighter Learning), Jill Balleh (CDS Tractor Trailer), Angela Horowitz (Stevens Transport), and Tim Kordula (Karl’s Transport CDL School) spoke on the importance of using “Soft Skills” in the CDL school and carrier environment. This includes everything from policy handbooks, addressing harassment, and teaching the “why” along with the how.
- Technology Panel (or the panel of the future!): Homer Hogg (Travel Center of America), Tim Norlin (Roehl Transport), Tina Singh (California Truck Driving School), Bryon Wiebold (Tenstreet), Ryan White (Navistar), and guest star Tim Kordula (Karl’s Transport CDL School) spoke about real-time apps and driver portals, all-digital student records, how trucks communicate with the shops and drivers, digital communication between schools and the FMCSA TPR.
CVTA Members from across the country came together in New Orleans to reconnect with one another and discuss the latest trends in the industry.
One of the greatest perks of being in this industry is the opportunity to meet people who inspire us all with their service to our country, our communities, and each other.
- Gregg Softy (Stevens Transport), the 2017 Transition Trucking winner, spoke about his career of service in the U.S. military. He shared how the experiences and values he gained during that time helped guide his transition into the trucking industry after leaving the service.
- Donna Miller (Liberty Career Finance) shared her personal experiences with organ donation while providing valuable and potentially life-saving information about the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS).