December 9, 2019
As 2019 comes to a close, so does Brad Barber’s reign as Chairman for CVTA. Brad Barber, of Georgia Driving Academy, has been CVTA’s Chairman for the past 2 years. During our 2019 Fall Conference, Brad shared his final thoughts as Chairman before passing over the duties to Larry Marsh with JTL Truck Driver Training.
“My time as CVTA’s Chairman is coming to a close with the 2019 conference. It has been an honor and pleasure to serve as the Chairman during the last 2 years. CVTA continues to grow in strength in membership and through its legislative impact on the federal and state level.
Here are a few of the key issues over the last 2 years:
- CVTA has impacted Skills Testing and 3rd Party testing both on the federal and state level. This past year, the association sponsored research exposing the fact that skills testing delays are costing nearly $1.5 billion in economic losses annually throughout the United States. The research provided the basis for CVTA and its members to work with Virginia, Oklahoma, and Missouri officials to implement third party testing.
- CVTA started a pilot program for members to participate in and created ELDT (Entry Level Driver Training) compliance materials, as a result, is leading the way for our members to be in compliance when it goes into effect.
- CVTA established a U.S. Dept. of Labor Registered Apprenticeship Program for its members.
- CVTA is promoting the 18-20-year-old legislation to allow drivers to cross state lines as an interstate driver.
- CVTA Hill Day continues to grow and impact with success coming with each year. Our CVTA staff does a tremendous job each year putting this together and on a continuous basis makes congressional visits on our behalf.
- CVTA continues to promote and support the WIOA funding at the federal level.
CVTA also has a lot to offer members:
- Networking- Our conferences offer a great resource to network with schools, carriers, and associates.
- Associates– Provide members with the largest innovations in technology. Savings through discounted programs exclusive to members.
- Where else can you sit down with a competitor and work together toward common goals?
- CVTA is the voice of Commercial Driver Training.
I want to encourage everyone to get involved. Attend conferences like you are now in Indianapolis, join committees, volunteer your time, attend Hill Day, and run for the CVTA Board.
Finally, I would like to thank the members of the board of directors and the CVTA staff for their support during the last 2 years. I appreciate the hard work that Larry Marsh has done as my Vice-Chairman and he has been elected as the new Chairman, along with Gary Pressley, as the new Vice-Chairman. I know that I am leaving the CVTA in good hands and be assured we have a strong board in place.”
A New Year. A New Chairman.
As the new decade begins in 2020, so does CVTA’s newest position appointees; Larry Marsh as CVTA Chairman and Gary Pressley as CVTA Vice Chairman. We can confidently say that Commercial Vehicle Training Association is in great hands. We are excited to see what this new year will bring for CVTA and all of our members. Stay tuned for more updates in the coming year.